Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Public Relations Strategy Test


Wednesday, which is later today, I have a public relations strategy test.

I am hoping that I pass (the test) but I feel like I have a brain fart. I can't continue studying but I can't sleep which is bad considering I have two classes later on today.

However, since this is a blog about learning more about the public relations profession and improving my skills, then I can share some of what I learned from my professor at the University of Florida;

Please note that this is a general overview -

There are four phases and nine steps in the communications strategy process.

Some individuals or firms follow the RACE model, ROPE model, RAISE or some other form (which I cannot recall) but the two former are primary methods for the profession.

The RACE stands for research, action communication and evaluation while ROPE stands for research, objectives, programs and evaluation and at this very moment I cannot recall the RAISE acronym.

But, for the purposes of my test later today the model we focus on is "ROPE".

In the formative process of research there are three steps:

There is the background research, knowing the obstacle or the opportunity, analyzing the organization, and then analyzing the public.

In the next phase; one need to form goals and objectives.

Goals are broad while objectives are specific.

It is very important to form objectives that are clear and precise. One must have an objective that is not two-pronged - meaning, don't try to achieve two things with one objective statement. To continue, objectives must be measurable and have time constraints as well as have a public.

The book we are using in the class; Strategic Planning for Public Relations by Ronald D. Smith - actually has a great template for writing an objective statement. I am so glad I was able to take a look at that. One of the things the section mentions is don't be afraid to be repetitive.

Sidebar: I think the fact that our profession (public relations) is based on creativity as much as research (and plus we are human) - we don't ever want to 'repeat' ourselves, or we think by repeating ourselves it makes it seem that we are not smart enough when in reality it helps keep things simple, to the point and clear.

*note all of those words probably meant the same thing but I just had to not be concise*

Okay, to continue - when the author says it is okay to be repetitive he means if you need to write 3 objective statements it is okay to write: "raise awareness" twice - that is, for example perhaps you want to focus different objectives with different publics.

If I learned correctly an example of an objective could be: To increase awareness or \by 30% of the Visual Ambitions blog by readers ages 17-25 by September 26, 2013.

Well, this objective has an impact, awareness, there is a public, readers 17-25, there is a time goal of September 26, 2013 and there is a measurable component, of 30%.

I would also like to add that in the book it says that you can't have an objective without research, meaning as public relations professional we don't pull communication plans out of thin air. It means we know what happened in the past and we want to do something different and most likely better.

I am glad that I was able to share this tidbit with you but I am feeling a little bit overwhelmed. And, well you can't learn public relations in a blog.

This blog is just a way for me to record and share what I am learning about public relations, whether it is in class, workshops, reading, or speaking with professionals while I improve my skills as a PR professional.




Twitter: @Annbitious
YouTube: youtube.com/visualambitions
LinkedIn: Ann Magloire
Facebook: Ann Magloire


© Ann-Makir Magloire

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Ann-Makir Magloire

© Ann-Makir Magloire