Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Catch-22 for Experience in Public Relations (PR)


In the coming few days, I have interviews lined up for possible internships in the field of Public Relations and Communications work.

I have had my resume looked over as well as attended a mock interview. I really appreciated the mock interview because I was introduced to some serious techniques of how to respond to questions and present what I have accomplished so far. I will attend perhaps two more mock interview sessions if time and my schedule permits before my scheduled internship opportunities.

Moreover, I was looking for tips about resume's - specifically the Public Relations industry and I came across Tips on Landing an Entry-Level PR Job , from lindsayolson.com.

The article encouraged attaining internships because there is always the catch-22 when trying to get an entry-level job or even an internship but experience does not come without being accepted for an internship or job 'first'. This is why the search for internships is as vital as it always has been.

Volunteering is also important and even choosing to do more than is in your job description. It is important to go beyond what is asked for in almost any position. It may not even be you choosing to volunteer or intern in a formal setting, you may just be passing by, but take that extra second and step to ask what is it that you can do for someone else. Anyone or organization can benefit from your skills, you just have to find out what it is that the individual needs. And that in itself is PR, researching and meeting the needs of both the public and the organization.

I am also learning that by choosing to be visible it can go a long way to benefit an individual.

I enjoy taking pictures, interviewing and writing so while on the event committee for the dorm area where I currently live I drafted a newsletter with the goal of encouraging individuals to attend our event as well as being a form of recording of what we have accomplished. I am just waiting approval from the executive board of the area office to possibly make it a consistent and monthly newsletter of what we have accomplished.

Also, the article by Lindsay Olson mentioned the importance of having a digital portfolio to direct potential employers to. As I am writing this blog, - it will be part of my digital portfolio as well as my youtube channel, Visual Ambitions or one can search my name “Ann-Makir Magloire”.

I must work hard each day so that I can add more substantial work to my portfolio. This is why I am hoping to get at least an internship with either, David Greenberg, Patterson Bach, BusinessReport, the local YMCA and my other one is Gator Lodge. I already have some ideas, but the question is I need to understand the internal organization first because my ideas may not be relevant or necessary if management does not want to change anything.

Wish me luck,



Twitter: @Annbitious
YouTube: youtube.com/visualambitions
LinkedIn: Ann Magloire
Facebook: Ann Magloire



© Ann-Makir Magloire

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Ann-Makir Magloire

© Ann-Makir Magloire